Our Need For Beauty


Sitting at home one Sunday afternoon with my husband and son, I suddenly realized what kind of day it was turning out to be. We were all cranky and stressed. Nothing seemed right. I was boiling on the inside...stressing of budgets, the cleanliness of the house, the dog chewing up everything in sight...it was all too much for me.

We decided at a moment's notice to go to the Smokey Mountains...about a 40 minute drive for us. After arriving we drove around the 11 mile loop of Cades Cove. It was a gorgeous day. The temperature was perfect...not too hot and not too cool. We rolled down the windows and had our trigger-finger on the camera at all times!


Why did we do this? Why did we suddenly feel stress roll off of us as if we were the richest, cleanest, dogless people in the world? This is my theory...WE NEED BEAUTY. God loves beautiful things and made us to love it as well. Why else would he stress that we think about beautiful things? Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Our creator made us to desire lovely things. He wants us to think about them. I don't think that we are suppose to ignore the unlovely things in life, but we aren't suppose to dwell on them long and hard either. Why? We just weren't created to. The cares of life should be rolled over into His more-than capable hands...and we are just to think about things that are honest, pure and lovely...in other words, TRUST HIM


God created such a beautiful earth...every part of the world has it's beauty and how many times have you heard someone say, "This looks like a painting", when they see lovely scenery? I've often wondered, and have heard others ask, what is art good for? Most of it is not useful, not needed for anything...yet people...many people...love art. I know that I have been known to swoon over a beautiful landscape or still life in my time. Why? Because beauty relieves stress and gives us joy. And, I truly believe it gives God joy too. Enjoy what you see and think about it. Dwell on it and most of all be thankful for it. Take a drive and notice a beautiful tree, or landscape. Or go to an art gallery and stare at beauty. We need it...at least I do. So next time you get overwhelmed by daily stresses just try saying, "Renoir, take me away!"

7 comments:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Beautiful pictures... I love this post! It fits perfectly with something I do on my blog on Sundays. Wanting people to stop and take a moment to appreciate the splendor that God has blessed us with. I call it 'a glimpse'. This is a beautiful glimpse!!

Unknown said...

Hey Melinda,
I love this post! And I totally agree with you. I also NEED beauty. It makes me smile, settles my soul, causes further creativity to stir. If you haven't read my blog today, check it out - it's a little bit similar in topic - having to do with rest and a hobby...

Lagean Ellis said...

Melinda,
It is so nice to meet you. When I saw the giveaway for your portrait, I just had to give it a shot. You are FABULOUS! I went to your Etsy shop and looked around, too. Wow!
I love that you aren't too far from me. I am in Northeast Arkansas.
Please, keep doing this and showing people every chance you get. You are an ARTIST!

Print Brochures | UPrinting.com said...

All we need to do is look around at our environment to see the wonderful works of art. It can be in the simplest things, from the green grass to the colorful flowers, the blue skies and waters, to the most complex of things and beings. Art is beauty, and it's about how we perceive and appreciate them :)
Nothing like a nice landscape photo to make you uplifted for the day :) Thanks!

Unknown said...

Your post is so inspiring! Nature is one of the most peaceful constants that people have always been able to enjoy and value. I don't think we stop to enjoy it enough. Thank you for reminding us to stop and bask in the beauty!

aggie said...

I have a small acerage in Texas that I fell in love with the first time I saw it. It was the only house on the road and seemed so peaceful. After I bought the place, I realized how much I missed our farm in Iowa. Being able to see the stars at night clearly not through the smog. Being about to have the windows open and not use the air conditioner. Being able to hear the bullfrogs crock at night instead of the neighbors overly loud TV. I would not give up living out of the city for the anything.

rebekah arnold said...

thank you for such a great post always nice to read someone else has the same things happing to them and what they do to fix it im gonna have to try that cant say we can go to the smokies but at least maybe we can take the kids and go to the park or something and also id like to say thank you for the great giveaway your having over at housework haters and your art work is awasome!

Post a Comment