The "Un-Art Festival"

Hi! I thought I would drop you a few notes and pics about the "arts and crafts" festival I attended this past weekend. I call it the "Un-Art festival" because that's not really what it was. There were some arts and crafts vendors there...but there was also bluegrass music, antique car competitions, an antique appraiser, a mechanical bull and other interesting non-artsy things.

This was my very first booth at any event. The other arts and crafts vendors were so nice. I loved meeting them and learning from them. But none of us, new or seasoned veterans, sold a thing! It was quite disappointing, but I learned alot, got to know some great people, and had a real adventure. So, I wouldn't have changed anything! (Well, maybe the no selling part)...

Here are a few pictures of my first booth...I would love any helpful hints, advice, or constructive critism you may be able to share! Thanks!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Melinda,
It's a little hard to see detail of what your "space" is like in these pics, but there is one thing I noticed that I would change if this were my display. I would not have large lettering that says, "Purses $35.00" I would instead opt for a small, prettily decorated 3x5 card on the table that tells about the items and/or pricing.
Your goal is to draw the customer into the space so they can see and touch (maybe?) your work. If they see the price right off, they may be put off by that.
Make the prices obvious, but not the first thing your customers notice.
Let your art work "speak" first.

Melinda "Mel" Howard said...

Thank you, Maria! I appreciate your advise. I didn't think of that! I did have a smaller sign (that you cannot see) that explained the items...but the sign being a put-off didn't occur to me. This is just the sort of comments I was hoping for! I'm learning!

Diana Scimone said...

Melinda,

I had the same reaction as Maria. The sign was the first thing I saw, not your beautiful purses.

From what I hear from Leah and my sister, the art show world can be very up and down. You never know what the atmosphere will be, who the other vendors will be (non-artists), etc.

But you now have a beautiful booth and some experience under your belt, and you're prepared for the next art show. Christmas season is coming and I'm sure there will be a lot more of them--and more people looking for gifts. Keep at it--you're doing great!

Diana

just_brent said...

The beauty of a rose stands by itself until it is beheld, but it's beauty draws the beholder!
---It is only just the beginning!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first! Love your artwork btw!

Post a Comment