Cigar Box Purse w/ a Custom Portrait!

 
I enjoyed this project so much. This photo is my favorite photo in the world! It's my son. He's very special to my husband and I. For 10 years we tried and prayed to have a baby...and this sounds strange, but, I'm glad we never did. If we had we would have never adopted this awesome, talented, intelligent young man. (He was a baby, straight from the hospital when we adopted him). 
    A friend of mine and I took our children to JC Pennys to get photos done (he was six months old...and just started sitting up good on his own.) He adored Elmo back then and used to sit in a large laundry basket watching MoMo as he used to call him!
        • You can see the progression of the portrait at http://melsartdiner.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-portrait-progression.html
        • I have decoupaged it (Mod Podge of course)...with beautiful green paper, stickers, rub-ons, buttons and other assorted goodies onto a wooden cigar box.
        • First I decoupaged a couple of gorgeous scrapbook papers onto it with mat Mod Podge and finished it off with gloss Mod Podge using artistic brush strokes to make it "painterly"
        • After I finished putting all that I wanted on the cigar box, (including the portrait - which had been sprayed several times with a fixative), and when the Mod Podge was dry I applied a clear varnish to take away tackiness and protect it!
        • I used very nice glass and metal jewelry beads with a sturdy wax covered string for the handle. And finished the purse by padding the inside with batting and covered with a black and white gingham fabric. I also added some stretchy elastic ribbon for holding valuables... and a mirror... inside the purse.
        • Hope you enjoy seeing this little project!
        • You can see a more detailed step by step blog of the making of a cigar box purse at: http://melsartdiner.blogspot.com/2009/08/blue-beaded-cigar-box-purse.html
        • Get your own custom box with a portrait at www.melhowardportraits.etsy.com

        2 comments:

        Unknown said...

        SO VERY cute! You did that portrait??? WOW!

        john wright said...

        I am an artist as well and I have to give you a hats off to ya!! Your site is awesome!! Your work is above and beyond as well, great job.

        Post a Comment