A Little Portrait Progression

Good Friday all! I am working on a small charcoal drawing to place on a cigar box purse. It's a really cute baby ...along with a friend. I thought I'd show a progression of the drawing and the cigar box purse.

This is "day one"...I've laid out the most of the drawing in a preliminary sketch and have nearly finished the hat. When working with charcoal I always work from the top-left and work my way down and right...because it is so easily smudged.

I enjoy this part...watching it start to come together and come to life! I still have plenty of tweeking to do to his face...especially his mouth, which I am not quite happy with. I want it to represent faithfully the sweetness of his little smile...with just a hint of nervousness - which is so precious.

Here is the start:










Here is the reference photo:






Don't forget to "follow" this blog to watch the progression of this drawing and other drawings to come!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment